YOT 60 - Poor little rich Lisa

Apparently, I grew up poor.  I never knew it either! It was actually only a few years ago that my parents told me this news.  They were honestly shocked when I didn't believe them.  "Don't you remember all the nights we ate BLTs or SOS for dinner?  Don't you remember the cinder block shelves we had?"

Umm, yeah, I remember those.  I always loved those about my childhood.  I MISS those things.  They were never associated with being poor; they were associated with being our life.  Those damn cinder blocks are hard to find and when I do find them, they are not cheap anymore.

Christmastime always made me feel like the richest girl in the world.  The presents were ridiculous!  They would radiate out from under the tree and impinge the living room, making the room so much smaller.  It was glorious.

I am thankful that my parents did everything they did for us to keep us from knowing we were poor.  I never went without anything I needed.  Of course, I went without a lot I WANTED but what kid doesn't?  Seriously, I always thought we had a lot of money.  From what I remember, we always had nice houses, decent cars, and we always had fun.  So, it seems, the cars were mostly used, the houses were great deals, but the fun was all free.

It really does not - NOT - matter what you have or how much money.  It matters how you spend your time with the time, and people, you have.   I don't remember the *stuff* or the money.  What I remember is the awesome childhood I had.  I remember the constant laughter.  I remember the fights and arguments, but I remember that they were usually because we were all strong willed and like-minded.

I remember the BLTs, SOS, and cinder blocks and I will take all of that over filet and Ethan Allen shelves any day of the week.

5 comments:

  1. This post has made me the happiest Mom ever. To know that your children had great childhoods is the best present ever. As you now know, being a parent is the most important job in this world, and to know you did well is the most wonderful feeling. Thank you so much for sharing this, it definately made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I tend to surf blogs and this was refreshing to read. I read something new everyday it seems.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, person with the impossibly long user name. Thanks :) It's not one of the best blogs out there but it sure isn't the worst. I appreciate the nice comment. Happy blog surfing!

      Delete
  3. Hi, back

    I am trying to figure out why my name and Id came out looking like a vin number for a motor vehicle ? I unno

    I have been surfing 3 different blogs a day in search of something different. I have found some interesting things. And a lot of utter crap. It's been almost 2 years and its been an adventure. People are weird, and have weird hobbies. I am on a 'Raw' diet eating thing because of one of blogs I stumbled upon. The things you learn by just paying attention or reading.

    I shall be be visiting again in he future to see what type of shenanigans you get up too.
    I may even start writing a new blog again. Until the next time.


    P:s I also picked up a cool lemon bar recipe and Mojito recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blogs are interesting, that's for sure. It is like seeing what people do when no one is around (in a way). The strangest part is all of the people that agree with the weirdness; all of the like-minded people we never knew existed.

      Delete