YOT 61 - Best friends are hard to come by

Last night I was at Cassidy's house hanging out a bit.  Evan had two friends over for a sleepover, everyone else went out to a friend's house to play (including my clan).  The chaos of three 7 & 8 year old boys is deafening and completely absurd.  I can't wait for Laripan to have this fun!  First thing's first - a fort had to be made.  At first, I asked why WE were building it and not the boys.  For one thing, if it were my sleepover when I was young, I would never have given someone else that honor of building my fort; that would have been too much fun to pass up.  Secondly, it's their damn fort - they should do it themselves.  It's not like they are three and can't do it.  But, as we went on building (because I just got laughed at and probably got the eye roll look behind my back from Cassidy), I realized that I was glad we built it.  It was fun and I don't think we adults get to have that as often as we should.  We also decided that we will be having a sleepover and will be building a fort for ourselves.

While building and creating this masterpiece, the boys were in their room giggling and being loud and having so much fun.  I said, "Don't you miss that?   That 'best friend' fun feeling?".  She said that she did miss that as well.

After the fort was done, we went out to the kitchen, opened the wine (ok, I was the one that raided the fridge and got the wine for myself) and started making pizzas.  The boys came out and told us what they wanted before retreated back to the "YouTube" watching lair. Pizza making was fun! Cassidy made the boys their pepperoni pizza but saved one slice to be just cheese - making it look like Pac-Man.  Yup - we are dorks and took a picture of it.  While the pizza cooks, we drank wine and talked and laughed then fed the insane maniacs in the other room and ate our pizzas - while still drinking wine.

Cotton candy was next.  We broke out the machine and whipped up a few batches of different flavors for the boys (and a little for us).  We even, accidentally made it snow glittery white shards of cotton candy in her kitchen - oh the joys!  Sorry Mopey Marsh...I know it was bittersweet for you.

More wine.

"Wicked Tuna" came on the TV.  By the way, you HAVE to say that with an Australian accent, apparently.  No, it is not an Australian show, just an Australian title.  It is actually a Massachusetts show so they do talk funny too.  So, anyway, standing about two feet away from the TV,  we made fun of the guys on there, planned our new careers as fisherwomen in bikinis (when we saw them get almost $4,000 for a single fish), cancelled that plan since I don't want to kill the fish, and decided to watch "The Hobbit" instead.  Of course, we decided we should sit down for that but the couch was too far away (oh, our first world problems are seriously adding up at this point, eh?) so that had to be moved.

We plopped down on the couch, grabbed a piece of cheesecake to split, finished the wine, and settled in for the show.

While we were sitting there watching and talking a little, I realized something.  We should not be missing that "best friend" fun feeling.  We have it.  Right now.  All night, we were the ones doing all the fun stuff; we built the fort, we made the pizzas, we laughed at the cotton candy snow.  We were laughing as much as, if not more than, the boys.  We were the ones giggling with the inappropriate jokes we made that the boys totally would not get...yet.

Only now, instead of when we were that age, it is even better; we get to do all of that with wine.

Today, I am very thankful to have a best friend again, especially one like Cassidy.


No comments:

Post a Comment